Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tidbit Tuesday--Texture

 Hello Everybody!

Today I am going to add texture to our book from Friday.  You can also use this on the cover of a chipboard album.  I learned this technique from Ali Edwards at a class (awesome by the way!)

So pictured below are what I call lace papers.  They are laser cut designs.  All 5 pictured here are from K.I.  You can get them from many places (craft/scrapbook) but I think--and double check to make sure--that Joann is have 25% off of their specialty open stock papers this Friday-Sunday (Aug 5-7th).  All of their "house paper" is 5 for $1.  I have a super Joann sort of near me, so if you have just the fabric store you may not have quite the selection. 

So you take the paper piece and cut it to fit your page or cover. The best thing to do is to apply Mod Podge with a sponge brush over the back of the lace paper.  Be sure to use an art mat or a paper plate underneath this project because the glue will come through the openings, and you don't want to mess up your work space.

Then stick on the lace paper.


I am putting the paint directly on.  I guess you would say I am applying the paint on dry because I'm not using any water.  I just apply more paint.


This isn't my favorite paint.  But I learned that I should have glued the orange side down.  The white is thin (probably all white is, but I can't blame myself!)  So the paint wouldn't have to work so hard if it didn't have to cover up color.  I had to put a lot of coats on this to cover the background of the composition page and the orange paper.


I wanted another try at the texture thing, so I made a heart shape out of the same lace paper.


I had this Walgreen's prescription bag handy so I applied Mod Podge with that underneath.


Finished applying!


Now it is on the inside cover of the composition book.  White side up you see ;)


I started painting it white.  I didn't like it.  So I added some Metallic Pink to it.  Love it!


So that's it finished.  Pretty cool, huh?  If you had heavy cardstock you might could do a little spot like this on a scrapbook page, but I would do it first then add everything.  Maybe even on a card...Hmm...I'm sure if I do it on a different project--and I'm successful--I'll let you know!  Until next time...

1 comment:

Khandrogos said...

Pictures don't do this technique justice... looks very cool.