Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tidbit Tuesday--Homemade Felt Flower

Hello Everybody!

First I'd like to say "YAY!"  My blog now has 5 followers!  Thank you to everyone who stops by!

I am going to be sharing the contents of what I got in my cool Paper Wishes box.  But it will take me a little bit of time to get projects for all of my new fun things, so please be patient!

I got a new tool in my box.  It is the We R Memory Keepers Sew Easy.  I used it on my Friday project which helped to inspire today's tidbit.  I did not use it on this flower.  This is totally separate.  But if you want to see about the Sew Easy tool...check it out here:  http://www.weronthenet.com/sew_easy

OK, to the flower!  First measure out about a 3 x 3 piece of felt.  This is just regular felt that they sell at the craft store.  Sometimes it is on sale--that's when you should buy it!  :) 


I free handedly cut out this flower.  Some of you may say it looks like I cut it out free handedly...but it does become cut in the end project.  I did look for a simple flower clip art, but I couldn't find any.  The best thing is probably to draw a simple flower on paper, cut it out, pin it to the felt, then cut out your felt from your pattern.  I was just ready to cut a flower out (sometimes I have little patience.)


Then I take white embroidery floss and a needle and stitch a straight stitch around my flower.  The needle I use is a "paper" needle so it is bigger and easier to thread than regular needles.  The felt was easy to thread.  Also, I use all six strands of the embroidery floss.  It looks really good against the dark pink.


Here it is finished.  But...it needs more!


I add another round of stitching, just like before...


The center is the toughest part.  Here I used puff paint and made a tight circle.  You could use a button, also.  For me it is challenging because I don't want to take away from the simplicity of it. 

So here is my finished felt flower.  Let me know if you create one!  They are really fun and quick to do. 

Until next time!

No comments: